Pasta With Mussels in Tomato Sauce
Sep 26 2018
This combination of mussels with plenty of garlic and parsley is a great end of summer dish to enjoy. Look for a flat noodle like pasta such as trenette, tagliatelle, fettuccine or linguine which work best with this dish.
- 1 can chopped or whole tomatoes
- 3 fat garlic cloves; 1 crushed, 2 minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- ½ cup dry non-alcoholic white wine
- 1 KG mussels, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Pinch sugar
- Salt to taste
- ¾ pound linguine or other pasta
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Pulse tomatoes with juices in food processor just a few times to break down into a coarse purée; set aside. Bring large pot of water to boil for pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a wide skillet or saucepan with lid, combine crushed garlic clove and shallot with non alcoholic white wine. Bring to a boil and add mussels. Cover and cook, shaking pan from time to time, 2 to 4 minutes, or until mussels open up. Check mussels after 2 minutes; transfer open mussels to a bowl using tongs. Cover pan again, wait another minute, and repeat until all mussels have opened.
- Leave mussels to cool in bowl until easily removed from shells. Remove half from shells and leave other half intact.
- Place a strainer over another bowl, and strain the liquid in the pan into bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup. Rinse and dry pan.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in pan and add minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, just until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add tomatoes, thyme, and sugar.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and cook, stirring often, 5 to 10 minutes, until tomatoes have cooked down slightly. Add 1/2 cup broth from mussels, stir together and bring to a simmer. Taste and add salt as needed (you may not need to add any). Tip all mussels, shelled and unshelled, into sauce, cover and turn heat to very low or remove from heat if not serving right away. Keep warm while you cook pasta.
- Warm a large bowl for the pasta. When water for pasta comes to a rolling boil, salt generously and add pasta. Cook al dente, following the directions on the package. Drain and toss in the warm bowl with tomato sauce, mussels and parsley. Serve right away.